Smoke chimney explodes, sending flames out of apartment

An apartment building has been engulfed in smoke, sending sparks and flames out the chimney and causing a fire alarm to go off, authorities said.

The incident happened early Monday morning in the 9600 block of N. High St. in the City of Richmond, said Richmond Fire Capt. Jeff Loomis.

It was unclear whether anyone was injured.

The building was evacuated and fire crews were called to investigate, but the blaze quickly spread, Loomi said.

Crews tried to extinguish the blaze, but it kept spreading and eventually caught fire, Lomax said.

The fire was extinguished shortly after 3 a.m.

Loomis said firefighters were unable to enter the building because of the smoke and no one was trapped inside.